Sunday, August 10, 2008

Rifugio Ginetti

The day started out sunny with bright blue skies. It was almost 8am and we were at the start of the trail. Stef pointed out to me that the rifugio where we were headed was somewhere up ahead where the green ended and the rocky peaks started. Whoa.


It was hard work going uphill from the very beginning.


After 1.5 hours, we reached a valley with a breathtaking view of the different peaks in front of us. These are apparently very popular with climbers from all over the world. But as you can see, I still had a ways to go.


But I was exhausted. Luckily I managed to convince Stef that I absolutely had to stop for a snack to regain my energy. Thanks to his mum who insisted we pack some extra cookies that morning. And I slipped in a quick snooze.


Then it was more hard work.


And finally the rifugio is in sight!


When we finally got there, we found a flat rock to lay on to enjoy the views and have our lunch.


I spotted a cute pecora (sheep) wandering our way. Poor thing, I think she got separated from the rest of the herd.


Then it was time to start heading down.


Admiring the views on the way down.


There were pretty streams and rivers all along the trail.


A couple hours later we arrived at the bottom. It was really unbearably hot by mid-afternoon so we stopped by the river and didn't waste any time sticking our feet and heads in the icy cold water. It was so refreshing. There were some people sunbathing next to the river. Next time I'll have to bring my bathing suit!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails