Sunday, June 7, 2009

Daytrip in Malmo, Sweden

*older post - I've been behind on my blogging!

On Sunday, I went to the airport with my sis and found luggage storage after seeing her off. I was sad to see her go, but we'll see each other again very soon!

Then it was back on the train for another 20 minutes across the Orestad bridge and into the town of Malmo for a half day.

Malmo turned out more interesting than expected. It was nice and warm walking around in the sunshine. Good thing I swapped Puff (that's what I call my down jacket) with my lighter jacket before storing my luggage. It turns out some shops were open on Sunday after all.

I got to visit H&M in Sweden! ;-D I bought another dress, blouse, shoes and a swimsuit... all items that were too cute to leave on the rack.

Then I wandered into a mall and found more stores. There were so many houseware stores! I loved pouring over the clever and cute little gadgets. I'm definitely a fan of Swedish design. This one Bed, Bath & Beyond-type store had reasonable prices, and I had to hold myself back from buying lots of stuff. I bought the coolest bathroom hook, a rubber-ducky kitchen timer, and some other misc. items. Sigh, I sure wished I had more luggage space.

I actually didn't know what the exchange rate for the Swedish Kroner was. I knew it for the Danish kroner, but hadn't checked for the other since I didn't think any of the shops would be open. All I knew was that the Swedish kroner was supposed to be lower than the DKR, but I didn't exactly how much. Well, turns out the Swedish kroner is ~40% weaker. Well, I guess it's a good thing I didn't know. Already my carry-on was stuffed to the brim.

All that shopping was making me hungry so I stopped to try the Swedish McD's. I had a cheeseburger and a small coke - 20kr (1.9euro) and sat in the window and people-watched. You can definitely tell Sweden was different from Denmark. It's slightly more gritty, and the girls are all dressed very trendy - in a good way. Not in a Giorgio Armani, Prada-way like Milan, but not too punk-ish or off-the-wall either. Kind of the way I could see myself dressing. The girls were all those black leggings but each with their own touch so it didn't look like they all dressed the same. With the coolest shoes. Also, the demographics seemed more diverse compared to Denmark... not just the blonde blue-eyed types.

It was such a fun little trip. I sure would like to visit Stockholm, Sweden, next!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails