Sunday, January 18, 2009

Lago Palu

It was beautiful and sunny out and we really needed a break from all the house related chores. Plus I had just scored some awesome new La Sportiva hiking boots at 30% off during the January sales. Perfect for going for a walk in the snow.

Our destination, an hour hike to Lago Palu. Here we are at the start of the trail. There was so much white and powdery snow all around. Everything looked so clean.


I really enjoyed walking in the snow. Plus my new boots were keeping my toes warm and dry. We had to stay on the trail where the snow was packed in otherwise we'd sink in knee deep since we didn't have any snow shoes on.


I was so out of shape (blame the holidays). I complained a little about the uphill but soon we arrived at the lake. You can hardly tell that there's even a lake under all that snow.


And next to the lake was the refugio Palu, where we were going to stop for lunch.


It was so cute inside. Very warm and 'alpine'.


We had a panino and a slice of cake (nuts, I think). Yum. As usual, everything tastes better in the high mountain.


Stefano had this scary-looking herbal liquor shot to finish off the meal. Not for me... ;-d


There was this really cute dog who lived there.


We saw these kids going down the trail on sleds. Whoa. Sharp curves and all! The sleds they had were a little more sophisticated; they had these metal handles on both sides that dig into the snow and can be used to maneuver the sled. On our way down, we saw dozens of 'kids' - young and old - speeding down the trail that way. I was a little envious!


It was so nice and warm that day in the sunshine. Coming up, I actually had to take off my jacket and was just wearing a sweater.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails